Provided below is an assortment of links to available clinical and administrative databases. If there are other sites you feel belong on these pages, please e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org.
Healthcare Cost and Utilization Project (HCUP)
HCUP databases bring together the data collection efforts of state data organizations, hospital associations, private data organizations, and the federal government to create a national information resource of patient-level health care data.
It includes the following databases:
- The Nationwide Inpatient Sample (NIS) includes inpatient data from a national sample of more than 1,000 hospitals.
- The Kids' Inpatient Database (KID) is a nationwide sample of pediatric inpatient discharges.
- The State Inpatient Databases (SID) contain the universe of inpatient discharge abstracts from participating states.
- The State Ambulatory Surgery Databases (SASD) contain data from ambulatory care encounters from hospital-affiliated and sometimes freestanding ambulatory surgery sites.
- The State Emergency Department Databases (SEDD) contain data from hospital-affiliated emergency departments for visits that do not result in hospitalizations.
National Healthcare Quality & Disparities Report (AHRQ)
Valuable resource containing links to information about the following data sources:
- California Health Interview Survey (CHIS)
- Commonwealth Fund Healthcare Quality Survey
- Healthcare Cost and Utilization Project (See above)
- HIV Research Network (HIVRN) Data
- Medical Expenditure Panel Survey (MEPS)
- Medicare Current Beneficiary Survey (MCBS)
- Medicare Claims Data
- Medicare Quality Improvement Organizations (QIO) Program
- Minimum Data Set (MDS)
- National Ambulatory Medical Care Survey (NAMCS)
- National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey (NHANES)
- National HIV/AIDS Surveillance System
- National Home and Hospice Care Survey (NHHCS)
- National Hospital Ambulatory Medical Care Survey (NHAMCS)
- National Hospital Discharge Survey (NHDS)
- National Household Survey on Drug Abuse (NHSDA)
- National Immunization Survey (NIS)
- National Nursing Home Survey (NNHS)
- National TB Surveillance System (NTBSS)
- National Vital Statistics System, Birth and Infants (NVSS-I)
- National Vital Statistics System, Mortality (NVSS-M)
- National Vital Statistics System, Natality (NVSS-N)
- Client/Patient Sample Survey (CPSS)
- Surveillance, Epidemiology, and End Results Program (SEER)
- US Renal Data System (USRDS)
Social Security Administration's Death Master File
The products advertised on this website contain the complete official Social Security Administration database extract as well as updates to the full file of persons reported to the SSA as being deceased.
Medical Society Databases
American College of Surgeons National Trauma Data Bank
Contains background information, documents to request the database, and an online version that allows you to query the latest version.
Society of Thoracic Surgeons
This site contains information for both potential and current participants in any of the STS National Databases.
American College of Cardiology
The NCDR® is the American College of Cardiology National Cardiovascular Data Registry, a confidential quality measurement program for cardiac and vascular facilities. It now operates three national registries.