Improving the quality of surgical care since 1913
The ACS was an outgrowth of the highly successful Clinical Congresses of Surgeons of North America. These took place annually starting in 1910 to further the education of practicing surgeons. The Clinical Congresses were themselves an outgrowth of the journal Surgery, Gynecology and Obstetrics, another initiative of ACS Founder Dr. Franklin H. Martin.
From the beginning, the College has been involved in surgical education and research, patient welfare, hospital standardization, ethics of practice, and collaboration with other medical associations. That heritage continues today.
More than 100 Clinical Congresses have been held since 1910, each offering the finest surgical education for medical professionals across all specialties.
About Our Seal
In 1915, the first Director of the College, Dr. John G. Bowman, urged the Regents and the Secretary, Dr. Franklin H. Martin, to authorize a competition among Chicago artists for the design of a seal to replace a simple rod and serpent used in the first yearbooks. The prized result has been in use ever since, without change.
Since the ACS was established, it has awarded Honorary Fellowships to individuals who possess an international reputation in the field of surgery or medicine or have rendered distinguished humanitarian services, especially in the field of medical science.See the Recipients