SESAP® 18 was created using a rigorous, multistep process of question development and peer review by 38 expert practicing surgeons. The result is an indispensable, robust learning experience based on more than five decades of SESAP tradition promoting expertise and excellence. SESAP 18 includes the following:
- 665 newly constructed, case-based, multiple-choice questions covering nine categories of general surgery
- Expanded critiques with evidence-based explanations for all answer options
- Supporting references from current literature, with links to PubMed abstracts and other online references
- Radiographic images, photographs, videos, and other educational media
- Immediate feedback to facilitate mastery of content
- Targeted search functionality for accessing desired information quickly
- Personal performance summary and peer comparisons
- Optimization for use on mobile devices with the same content and features as the desktop web version
Explore the Newest Features of SESAP 18 to Personalize Learning
- SESAP Small Bites: Incorporate SESAP into your regular routine by receiving links to SESAP 18 questions via email with a frequency and content areas of your choice.
- Custom Assessment: Challenge yourself by creating personalized assessments that randomly select questions across categories. Explore options like drawing from questions answered incorrectly or specifying categories.
- Flashcard Tool: Easily design and save personalized flashcards to emphasize key teaching points. Review your flashcards from each related question or through a centralized dashboard.
- Highlight Tool: Highlight content on the go with mobile highlighting for tablets and smartphones. Save highlighted content to My Library for quick retrieval.
- Resident Report (ACS member residents): View comparative metrics in real-time showing how self-assessment scores and answers compare with other residents. Easily send an individual Resident Report from the SESAP 18 program to any recipient. These score reports support self-assessment and help faculty follow resident completion of the SESAP 18 program.
Revisit Favorite Content to Enhance and Reinforce Learning
- Move across categories for self-directed study
- Save notes, bookmark content, and personalize folders in My Library
- Reset categories to reuse the program for focused learning
- Scan 461 flashcards for reinforcement of topics
- Compare your answers and scores with peers
SESAP 18 will be available online until December 31, 2025, when the edition will be retired. All continuing medical Education (CME) credit for SESAP 18 must be claimed by October 31, 2025.