Applications for membership in the Excelsior Surgical Society are now currently being accepted. Please also note that nominations are now being accepted for Elected Office in the Excelsior Surgical Society as well. Details on Membership and Officer Nomination criteria are detailed below.
Membership in the Excelsior Surgical Society
Active Members shall be Fellows, Associate Fellows, Residents, Medical Students, and Affiliates of the College who are currently serving on active duty in a branch of the United States Uniformed Medical Service; currently active or inactive Armed Forces Reserve or National Guard; or are retired or discharged under honorable conditions from a United States Uniformed Medical Service after at least one year of service. Active members may hold elected office, have voting rights, and will pay annual dues to remain in good standing. After verification of good standing with the American College of Surgeon and verification of military service (current orders, copy of military identification card or a form DD 214), eligible members will automatically become Active members upon application.
Associate Members shall be Fellows, Associate Fellows, Residents, Medical Students, and Affiliates of the College who do not meet the requirements for current or prior military service. Associate members have voting rights, will pay annual dues to remain in good standing, but may NOT hold elected office. After verification of good standing with the American College of Surgeon eligible members will automatically become Associate members upon application.
Honorary Members must be nominated by an Active Member and approved by a majority of the Executive Council. Honorary members do not vote, hold office, or pay dues. Acceptable candidates for honorary membership include:
- A surgeon not eligible for Active Membership.
- A physician or scientist who has gained professional prominence by his/her contribution to the advancement of military surgery in general or the Excelsior Society in particular.
- A member of the community who has shown particular interest in military surgery and provided support to the Excelsior Society.
Applying for Membership
Individuals interested in membership in the Excelsior Surgical Society should complete the Membership Application and submit the completed form to Garrett G. Kirk, MHSSPACS Program Administrator at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Holding Elected Office in the Excelsior Surgical Society
The Officers of this Excelsior Surgical Society shall be:
- Vice President (who shall be designated the President-Elect)
- Air Force Councilperson at Large
- Army Councilperson at Large
- Navy Councilperson at Large
- Reserve/National Guard Councilperson at Large
- Officers must be on active duty, active reserve, or active National Guard status for the tenure of the office. Trainees may not hold an elected officer position.
- Officers must be a member in good standing with the American College of Surgeons.
Active duty status will be verified via the SCRA website. Reserve/national guard members will be required to submit verification with orders or copy of their ID card. Provisional verification of duty status and ACS membership good standing will be presumed prior to the elections and will be verified after the ACS Clinical Congress 2016. The members at the annual meeting, duly held upon regular call and notice, shall elect all officers of the society for terms of one year or until their successors are elected and qualified. There shall be a progression of the Vice President (President-Elect) who shall become the President at the end of a one-year term as Vice President (President-Elect).
Please direct all questions/concerns to MHSSPACS Program Administrator Garrett Griffin Kirk, MPH, at 312-202-5413 or email@example.com.