Help the American College of Surgeons (ACS) keep pace in a changing health care environment and meet the goals of its Inspiring Quality: Highest Standards, Better Outcomes initiative by nominating your brightest, most engaged, responsible, and forthright members to serve a three-year term as a member of the ACS Board of Governors. Nominations for appointments must be submitted to your local ACS Chapter or surgical specialty society by June 30. The Board of Governors is the representative body of the ACS. The membership-at-large nominates two-thirds of the Governors, who are elected during the Annual Meeting of the Members at the ACS Clinical Congress. Certain surgical specialty societies, ACS Chapters, and federal medical services nominate one-third of the Board of Governors.
The Governors shall act as a liaison between the Board of Regents and the Fellows, and serve as a clearinghouse for the Regents on general assigned subjects and local problems.
Duties of a Governor include:
- Provide bi-directional communication between the Board of Governors and the Fellows
- Actively participate in a minimum of one Board of Governors Workgroup
- Attend the spring Leadership Summit (spring meeting attendance is not required for international governors)
- Participate in Board of Governors meetings, Convocation, and Annual Meeting of the Members at the annual Clinical Congress
- Complete an annual survey
- Attend Chapter or specialty society meetings
- Assist in establishing an ACS Chapter and serve on the Chapter governing board
- Participate in local Committee on Applicants meetings and interviews
- Provide reports to the ACS Chapter or specialty society and the Board of Governors Communications Pillar
- Promote ACS Fellowship in state and specialty society
- Welcome new Fellows from your area/organization into the ACS
An inclusive, transparent Board of Governors depends upon members who can actively serve as a link to their local community and as a resource for the ACS. If you have questions, please contact or email@example.com or 312-202-5360.