The mission of the Women in Surgery Committee (WiSC) is to enable women surgeons of all ages and practice types to develop their individual potential as professionals; promote an environment that fosters inclusion, respect, and success; develop, encourage and advance women surgeons as leaders; and provide a forum and networking opportunities to enhance women’s surgical career satisfaction.
The committee meets four times each year—twice in person at the Leadership Summit and Clinical Congress, and then via conference call. The subcommittees meet regularly via conference call.
The WiSC includes representatives from a variety of specialties, medical students, and representatives from the American College of Surgeons (ACS) Board of Governors, Resident and Associate Society, and the Association of Women Surgeons (AWS), and is composed of five subcommittees focused on:
- Awards—Identify and nominate women surgeons for ACS and AWS award opportunities.
- Mentorship—Manage the annual mentorship program. The annual call for applications takes place in June. There are 38 mentorship pairs participating in the 2014–2015 program.
- Program—Identify and submit proposals for presentation at the annual Clinical Congress and to identify the annual Olga Jonasson Lecturer.
- Structure and Mission—Continually evaluate the committee's composition to ensure broad representation, and to continuously evaluate and update the mission and goals to support the recruitment and retention of women surgeons in the ACS.
- Web—Support the Women in Surgery Committee web page and the ACS Women in Surgery Community.
The WiSC supports the advancement of women surgeons into leadership positions of the College. The Leadership Guide provides an overview of the various leadership roles within the College. The committee is developing a series of podcasts to highlight women surgeon leaders in the College describing how they achieved their leadership role.
Podcast 1 features Annesley W. Copeland, MD, FACS, and Sherry M. Wren, MD, FACS discussing their roles as members of the ACS Board of Governors.
Women in Surgery Committee Roster
Patricia L. Turner, MD, FACS
The Women in Surgery Committee welcomes your comments. Please write to the committee's staff liaison, Connie Bura, at email@example.com.
Interested in joining a committee? E-mail firstname.lastname@example.org.