Since 2009, the Trauma Quality Improvement Program (TQIP) has worked to improve patient care at Level III trauma centers by providing risk-adjusted benchmarking, sharing best practices, and offering on-going education to participants. In July 2016, the ACS launched Level III TQIP to extend the reach of the program to more levels of care. Level III centers have the ability to track outcomes and improve patient care through the utilization of risk-adjusted data, participation in educational opportunities, and collaboration with other TQIP centers.
- Education is a key component of the program and benefits new and existing TQIP centers. Educational opportunities available to Level III TQIP centers include:
- TQIP Online Course, which covers updates to the NTDS Data Dictionary, understanding and using data quality information, and the roles of the TQIP team at your hospital
- Monthly quizzes
- Regular TQIP webinars for registry staff
- Sessions for new centers at the TQIP Annual Conference
- Participation in TQIP Google Group
Risk Adjusted Benchmark Report
- TQIP provides standardized data collection and risk-adjusted reports that compare hospitals to other Level III trauma centers.
- Centers will be eligible to receive two risk adjusted benchmarking reports per year as long as the center meets the data quality and quantity criteria.
Turning Information into Action
- Tools that help programs review data quality and completeness and understand the impact that data issues may have on their results
- An online tool that allows hospitals to drill down into their data
- Identification and sharing of best practice
- Participants benefit from site visits for external data validation and ongoing performance monitoring
Use the Right Data
- Training for registry staff to increase data quality and consistency, resulting in meaningful benchmark reports
- An online course available at the user’s convenience, 24 hours a day, seven days a week
- Monthly quizzes to educate registry staff on vital data elements
- Conference calls and web conferences to share information and answer questions
- External data validation to measure accuracy and address data quality
Learning from Other Trauma Centers
- TQIP gives trauma centers the opportunity to learn from one another while developing best practices that help improve quality
- Best Practice Guidelines presented at the TQIP Annual Meeting
- Collaboration with other centers on a national, state, or regional basis
For more information about TQIP fees, please log in to QPort. We all have the same goal—to improve care of the injured patient. Joining TQIP is an investment, not just an expense.