The American College of Surgeons offers International Guest Scholarships to young surgeons from countries other than the United States or Canada who have demonstrated strong interests in teaching and research. The scholarships, in the amount of $10,000 each, provide the Scholars with an opportunity to visit clinical, teaching, and research activities in North America and to attend and participate fully in the educational opportunities and activities of the American College of Surgeons Clinical Congress.
This scholarship endowment was originally provided through the legacy left to the College by Dr. Paul R. Hawley (FACS Hon),
former College Director. More recently, gifts from the family of Dr. Abdol Islami (FACS), the Stavros Niarchos Foundation, and others
to the International Guest Scholarship endowment have enabled the College to expand the number of scholarship awards.
- Applicants must be graduates of schools of medicine.
- Applicants must be at least 35 years old, but under 45,
on the date that the completed application is filed.
- Applicants must submit their applications from their intended permanent location. Applications will be accepted for processing only when the applicants have been in surgical practice, teaching, or research for a minimum of one year at their intended permanent location, following completion of all formal training (including fellowships and scholarships).
- Applicants must have demonstrated a commitment to teaching and/or research in accordance with the standards of the applicant’s country.
- Early careerists are deemed more suitable than those who are serving in senior academic appointments.
- Applicants must submit a fully completed application form provided by the College on its website. The application and accompanying materials must be typewritten and in English. Submission of a curriculum vitae only is not acceptable.
- Applicants must provide a list of all of their publications and must submit, in addition, three complete publications (reprints or manuscripts) of their choice from that list.
- Preference may be given to applicants who have not already experienced training or surgical fellowships in North America.
- Applicants must submit independently prepared letters of recommendation from three of their colleagues. One letter must be from the chair of the department in which they hold academic appointment or a Fellow of the American College of Surgeons residing in their country. The chair’s or the Fellow’s letter is to include a specific statement detailing the nature and extent of the teaching and other academic involvement of the applicant. Letters of recommendation should be submitted by the person making the recommendation.
- The application form is structured to assist the Scholarship Selection Subcommittee and assists the applicant in submitting a structured curriculum vitae. Additional information (a maximum of four pages) may be attached if desired.
- The International Guest Scholarships must be used in the year for which they are designated. They cannot be postponed.
- Applicants who are awarded scholarships are expected to provide a full written report of the experiences provided through the scholarships upon completion of their tours.
- An unsuccessful applicant may reapply only twice and only by completing and submitting a current application form provided by the College, together with new supporting documentation.
The scholarships provide successful applicants
with the privilege of participating in the College’s
annual Clinical Congress in October 2015, with public
recognition of their presence. They will receive
gratis admission to selected postgraduate courses
plus admission to all lectures, demonstrations,
and exhibits, which are an integral part of the
Clinical Congress. Assistance will be provided in
arranging visits, following the Clinical Congress, to
various clinics and universities of their choice.
In order to qualify for consideration by the selection committee, all of the requirements must be fulfilled.
Formal American College of Surgeons International Guest Scholar applications appear below. Supporting materials and questions should be directed to:
International Liaison Section
American College of Surgeons
633 N. Saint Clair St.
Chicago, IL 60611-3211
for the International
Guest Scholarships for the
year 2016 and all of the
must be received at the
office of the International
Liaison Section prior to
July 1, 2015, in order for
an applicant to receive
consideration by the
All applicants will be
notified of the selection
committee’s decision in
November 2015. Applicants
are urged to submit their
and supporting documents
as early as possible in
order to provide sufficient
time for processing.
Requirements and overview
International Guest Scholarship Award Recipients 1968–2014
Conflicts of Interest Disclosure Form