The Resident and Associate Society of the American College of Surgeons (RAS-ACS) sponsors and has access to a variety of scholarships, competitions, awards, and project work that Residents and Associate Fellow members can take advantage of and volunteer for.
Scholarships and Fellowships
The American College of Surgeons (ACS) presents scholarships focused on Residents and Associate Fellows.
Scholarships for Residents
Nizar N. Oweida, MD, FACS, Scholarship (Associate Fellows are eligible to apply)
2017 Leadership & Advocacy Summit Resident Travel Awards
Fellowship in Medical Education and Simulation
2017 ACS-UW Surgical Education Research Two-Year Fellowship
Annual RAS-ACS Essay Contest
Spectacular Cases for Clinical Congress
The ACS presents awards focused on Residents and Associate Fellows.
The RAS-ACS sponsors a variety of committees that work on annual projects for the society during the year. As an ACS Resident Member or Associate Fellow, you are encouraged to get involved and join a RAS Committee.
Advocacy & Issues
This committee aims to promote grassroots legislative awareness and advocacy interest in ACS. Projects include:
- 2016 RAS-ACS Symposium
- National drug shortages
- Surgical volunteerism (domestic and international)
- ACS Social Media Usage Guidelines
- Challenges encountered by junior surgeons in the military
- Institutional and residency GME funding inadequacies
This committee holds an annual Essay Contest, and disseminates information to RAS members regarding all aspects of a surgical career through:
- An e-newsletter
- Annual essay competition
- August Bulletin issue
- Podcast creation
- JACS social media journal club collaboration
- RAS promotional video
- Social media
This committee investigates, discusses, and disseminates educational ideas and practices for all surgical disciplines related to training. Projects include:
- Top Gun skills competition
- Surgical Jeopardy for chapters
- Electronic Medical Record Survey
- Panel Sessions for Clinical Congress
- Handoff training resources
This committee works to increase members and member engagement in the College. Projects include:
- International Scholarship Exchange
- Member incentives, recruitment, and engagement
Monthly Conference Call Schedule
Each committee meets one Wednesday a month via conference call at 8:00 pm Central.
- 1st Wednesday: Advocacy & Issues
- 2nd Wednesday: Communications
- 3rd Wednesday: Membership
- 4th Wednesday: Education
Contact RASNews@facs.org and tell us which committee you would like to join and we will include you in the roster.