The following individuals serve in leadership roles with the Resident and Associate Society of the American College of Surgeons (RAS-ACS). Individuals interested in being considered for appointment to the RAS-ACS Executive Committee, other committees, or to serve as a liaison representative to a College Chapter, Advisory Council, Board of Governors Workgroup, or ACS Committee should send their interest to RASNews@facs.org.
Review the Bylaws of the RAS-ACS
RAS-ACS Executive Committee
Four RAS-ACS committees are open to member participation. For additional information on a specific committee, or to join a committee, contact RASNews@facs.org.
Advocacy and Issues Committee
The mission of this organization is to:
- Familiarize residents and young surgeons in all surgical specialties with the College and its programs and leadership
- Provide an avenue for participation in College affairs
- Enable members to develop and use leadership skills in organized surgery
- Provide opportunities for the opinions and concerns of residents and young surgeons to be heard by the College leadership
While other medical societies have developed similar resident organizations, the RAS-ACS is the only surgical organization devoted to the concerns and needs of all surgical residents and young surgeons.
Participation in RAS-ACS provides the following benefits:
- Free access to the College's job bank
- Information on clinical and research fellowship opportunities
- Free subscription to the Journal of the American College of Surgeons
- Newsletter and website
- Educational materials to meet the requirements for board certification
- Opportunities to serve on various committees of the College
- Free early registration for Clinical Congress and access to CME credits
- Clinical Congress programming designed to meet the needs of surgical residents and young surgeons
- Access to ACS-sponsored insurance programs (life, health, disability)
- Opportunities for local chapter affiliation
- A voice in advocacy and policy-making issues concerning residents and young surgeons
For additional information regarding the benefits, activities, and how to join the sub-committees of the RAS-ACS, please contact RASNews@facs.org.