The ACS Health Outreach Program for Equity in Global Surgery (H.O.P.E.) is accepting nominations for the 2024 ACS/Pfizer Surgical Volunteerism and Humanitarian Awards cycle. Members are invited to nominate their peers who have made significant contributions to the surgical profession by giving back to the most vulnerable.
Nominating a peer is meant to elevate the passion, diversity, and collective dedication to service within the ACS community. Nominations are welcome for the following award categories:
- Academic Global Surgeon Award
- Domestic Surgical Volunteerism Award
- International Surgical Volunteerism Award
- Military Surgical Volunteerism Award
- Resident Surgical Volunteerism Award
- Surgical Humanitarian Award
The following conditions apply to the nomination process:
- Self-nominations are permissible and encouraged. Such nominations require at least two outside letters of recommendation. One of the letters must be submitted by a Fellow of the College. In addition, self-nominators must submit three references that the Workgroup may contact. It is required that at least one reference also be a Fellow of the College.
- Re-nomination of a previous nominee is acceptable and encouraged. A resubmission requires the completion of a new application. Applicants are encouraged to consider adding additional details and supporting narratives to strengthen their application.
- Couple/partner nominations are also permitted and encouraged. Joint nominations should be submitted with a primary nominee. The nominator will have the opportunity to select if it is a joint nomination on the nomination form.
- The Workgroup reserves the right to move a nominee from one category to another based on a review of the application.
The organization encourages its community to disseminate the call and nominate surgeons for the 2024 ACS-Pfizer Surgical Volunteerism and Humanitarian Awards.
Discover more about the commendable individuals in who received the 2023 awards in October Bulletin. Clinical Congress 2023 registrants are also invited to view a Panel Session, Humanitarian Surgical Outreach at Home and Abroad: Reports on the 2023 Volunteerism and Humanitarianism Award Winners, where the 2023 winners provide details about their activities.