The Patient Education Committee of the American College of Surgeons Accredited Education Institutes (ACS-AEI) serves to optimize surgical outcomes through the design, implementation, and evaluation of innovative education programs for patients and caregivers across the continuum of care from preoperative to postoperative rehabilitation.
- To establish a meaningful forum for AEI members to develop, share, and evaluate simulation-based surgical patient education programs.
- To serve as the core team of the Consortium to rapidly respond to the national imperatives around patient education mandates, supporting the entire surgical team with best practice updates.
- To design strategies for surgeons and other members of the surgical teams to access, deliver, and evaluate effective patient education programs.
- To develop and implement interdisciplinary and interprofessional skills training programs that include active engagement and participation by all members of the healthcare team, including patients and their caregivers.
- To develop a curriculum and credentialing program for surgical professionals to enhance postoperative recovery and transition of patients to self-care.
- To develop, with the input of all AEI Consortium members, a dynamic global strategy and infrastructure for the an efficient evidence-based community training program focused on complex postoperative care outside the hospital walls with the goal of best outcomes and complication and readmission reduction.
Michael McGee, MD, FACS
Elena An, MSHCA
Stephanie Ayers, MEd
Kimberly Brown, MD, FACS
John Daly, MD, FACS
Ross Ehrmantraut, RN
Forrest Griffin, MD, FACS
Susan Haynes, MSW
Lucian Panait MD, FACS
Alexander Perez, MD, FACS
Amy Sisley, MD, MPH, FACS
Dimitrios Stefanidis, MD, FACS
Ranjan Sudan, MBBS, FACS
Shirin Towfigh, MD, FACS
Kathleen Heneghan, PhD, MSN, RN, FAACE
Tarra Barot, PhD
Nancy Strand, MPH, RN