Erica L. Mitchell, MD, FACS
Rajesh Aggarwal, MBBS, MA, PhD, FRCS
Mark Aeder, MD, FACS
Christopher S. Awtrey, MD
Janis A. Cannon-Bowers, PhD, Consultant
Lars Enochsson, MD, PhD
Teodor P. Grantcharov, MD, PhD, FACS
Matthew Lineberry, PhD
Philip H. Pucher, MD, BSc, MRCS
Carla M. Pugh, MD, PhD, FACS
Richard M. Satava, Jr., MD, FACS
Mika N. Sinanan, MD, PhD, FACS
Dimitrios Stefanidis, MD, PhD, FACS, FASMBS
Patrice Gabler Blair, MPH, ACS Staff Consultant
Kathleen A. Johnson, EdM, ACS Staff Consultant
T. Robert Turner, PhD
The Research and Development Committee of the Consortium of American College of Surgeons (ACS) -accredited Accredited Education Institutes (AEI) facilitates
implementation of multi-institutional research programs across the AEIs.
- To establish an active and meaningful forum for Consortium of AEI Members to develop, catalogue, coordinate, and analyze collaborative research studies.
- To serve as a core leadership group to develop research concepts and interface with funding agencies and industry around shared research and development interests, evaluation of new technologies, and other opportunities.
- To help leverage the collaborative power of the Consortium of AEI Members to more rapidly answer research questions relating to the domain of simulation-based surgical education.
- To enhance communication among Members of the Consortium of AEIs and between the AEI Members and the ACS Division of Education around investigative efforts.
- To develop, with the input of all AEI Consortium Members, a dynamic global strategy (vision) for the direction of research in simulation-based surgical education.
- To encourage individual AEI Members to participate in multi-center collaborative research by offering each AEI the opportunity to initiate or participate in at least one multi-institutional research study annually.
- To facilitate implementation of uniform curricula and outcomes measures and standardization of devices, to support simulation-based surgical education and training.
- To designate research studies approved by the AEI R&D Committee as ACS AEI Sponsored for grant support, presentations, and publications, in order to enhance the credibility and impact of the studies.