The National Trauma Data Bank® (NTDB®) may be used for informational and research purposes with approval from the American College of Surgeons (ACS) Committee on Trauma. If you would like to request permission to reproduce NTDB tables or graphs or use the NTDB dataset for scientific analysis, you must complete our online data application and agree to our Terms and Conditions.
NTDB offers several Research Data Set (RDS) products. The NTDB RDS contains all records sent to NTDB for specified admission years. The NTDB National Sample Program (NSP) RDS are based on the nationally representative sample of NTDB. You may request the NTDB RDS or the NSP RDS for your research purposes. How do you choose NTDB RDS or NSP RDS?
- The NTDB RDS contains all records sent to NTDB for each admission year. Use this dataset to explore data on pediatric patients, or Level III, IV, V, or undesignated trauma centers. If you are looking at small patient cohort, such as a specific injury or procedure, you may want to use the NTDB RDS because the overall number of patients is much larger. This data set is not appropriate for making national estimates or yearly comparisons.
- The NSP RDS provides national estimates for adult patients seen in Level I and II trauma centers. These datasets contain weighted data for up to 100 randomly selected trauma centers. The NSP should be used when it’s necessary to make inferences to the population of patients seen in US trauma centers, and when you will be making comparisons across admission years. The NSP should not be used to examine specific injuries or procedures.
Apply for the NTDB Research Data Set or National Sample Program dataset.
You may view the fields available in the RDS in the respective user manuals (in order to determine if the datasets are suitable for your use, please carefully review the user manuals before submitting an application):
- NTDB User Manual 7.2
- NTDB User Manual, Admission Year 2007
- NTDB User Manual, Admission Year 2008
- NTDB User Manual, Admission Year 2009
- NTDB User Manual, Admission Year 2010
- NTDB User Manual, Admission Year 2011
- NTDB User Manual, Admission Year 2012
- NTDB National Sample Program, Admission Years 2003–2006
- NTDB National Sample Program, Admission Year 2007
- NTDB National Sample Program, Admission Year 2008
- NTDB National Sample Program, Admission Year 2009
- NTDB National Sample Program, Admission Year 2010
- NTDB National Sample Program, Admission Year 2011
- NTDB National Sample Program, Admission Year 2012
You may determine the cost for your request from the fee list below. During the application process you will be asked to specify which product(s) you would like to use.
- NTDB Research Data Set (RDS) - Years: 2007-2012 - $300.00 per year
- National Sample Project (NSP) - Years: 2003-2011 - $300.00 per year
Please note that NTDB does not provide customized datasets and does not run specific analysis for research projects.
The NTDB committee will review your application, and you will be notified of their approval. Please contact us with any questions you may have about this process at firstname.lastname@example.org.