Call for Data for 2017
Submission Specifications (Standard 5.5)
Please do not create your final submission files any earlier than December 1, 2015, to ensure that all required cases and updates are properly captured.
- Submission window opens: January 1, 2017
- Final date for initial submissions: March 15, 2017
- Corrections due: April 1, 2017 (12:00 midnight CST)
Cases Required to Be Submitted
NCDB recommends that registries use the registry software’s automated case selection, but they should be familiar with the selection requirements that follow.
- Analytic (Class of Case 00, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 20, 21, 22)
- Diagnosed on or after the program’s Reference Date (and not earlier than 1985)
- All cases meeting the above specifications diagnosed during 2015 PLUS
- All cases meeting the above specifications diagnosed through 2014 that were added or changed by the registry since just prior to the previous time the respective diagnosis year was selected in a Call for Data. See schedule.
Special Requirements for New Programs
- New programs submitting their first Call for Data submission must submit all analytic cases diagnosed on or after the program’s Reference Date (and not earlier than 1985) through diagnosis year 2015.
- This is NOT the case specification for existing programs of newly-added or updated cases since the last call for Data…All analytic cases are to be submitted for each diagnosis year of the current Call for Data.
- Please contact Kathleen Thoburn, NCDB Manager of Information and Data Standards with any questions regarding data submission requirements at firstname.lastname@example.org.
How to Know All Required Cases Are Submitted
Sometimes registries inadvertently fail to submit all required cases, resulting in a deficiency rating for Standard 5.5. Please see Determining Compliance and Commendation for helpful details about how survey scores are assigned for these two Program Standards. Tracking your data submission on DataLinks from year to year is essential to ensuring required completeness of submitted data.
Below, please find a link to a simple tool that will help you track your data submissions for each annual Call for Data. Use of this this Excel spreadsheet is highly recommended. For each individual Call for Data effort, enter the number of cases submitted for each diagnosis year in the # Cases column for the specified Call for Data. The estimated percentage of your program's annual caseload will be automatically calculated.
Programs should also be monitoring their data submissions using the NCDB Call for Data Submission Count Tracking by Diagnosis Year.xlsx.
Data Items Required and Layout Specifications
Only NAACCR layout versions 15.0 and 16.0 are accepted for submissions during 2017.
Download a PDF with the version-specific required data items and applicable layout specifications.
Layout Version 15.0
Layout Version 16.0
“Rejected cases” are not added to the NCDB database and are effectively “not submitted.” Required cases that are rejected must be corrected and resubmitted, regardless of diagnosis date. Nonanalytic cases, cases diagnosed prior to the program’s Reference Date, and cases diagnosed prior to 1985 are not required and will be rejected; they should not be resubmitted.
Edit Requirements (Standard 5.6)
All cases diagnosed in 2003 through 2015 submitted to the NCDB at any time during 2017 are subject to Standard 5.6. Any cases diagnosed from 2003 through 2015 that generate edit errors upon submission must be corrected and the case resubmitted by April 1, 2017, for compliance with Standard 5.6. For eligibility for commendation, no cases diagnosed from 2003 through 2015may have any edit errors at the time of initial submission.
The NCDB metafiles and links to download GenEDITS Plus for 2017 editing software are available online. While NCDB supports using built-in registry software checks as a first step for pre-editing data, it is best to re-check using the free-standing NCDB GenEDITS Plus 2017 on all files after they have been extracted for submission to avoid unpleasant surprises.
Survey Implications for Standards 5.5 and 5.6
Surveys for Standards 5.5 and 5.6 evaluate submissions with deadlines that fell during the three calendar years prior to the year of the survey.
Surveys Conducted in 2013
Surveys Conducted in 2014
Surveys Conducted in 2015
Surveys Conducted in 2016
Surveys Conducted in 2017
Coding, Editing, and “How to” Resources
FORDS and Other Registry Manuals
EDITS Software and Metafiles, Edits Documentation
Data Submission Information