Six times a year chapters of the American College of Surgeons (ACS) have the opportunity to submit articles for publication in the Chapter News section of the Bulletin. Chapter News is a great way for chapters to promote their activities and initiatives to all members of the College. Below you will find submission guidelines that have been developed with the Bulletin editorial staff.
For recent Chapter News, please visit the Bulletin website.
Submitting Chapter News Articles and Photos for the Bulletin
- Submissions must be sent as a Word document and should be no longer than 300 words
- Only one photo should be submitted per article. Photos must be sent as a separate digital file such as a JPEG (please do not embed photo in the Word document)
- Include a caption for the photo that you send to us. We recommend including the photo caption at the top of the Word document that you submit.
- Please include titles and affiliations of those mentioned in the article or photo (i.e., credentials [MD, FACS], place of employment, university, hospital) or the Bulletin editors will not accept your submission
- Include the year of study for residents mentioned in the article or photo
- You may submit articles about the individual accomplishments of your members outside of the chapter. These submissions will eventually go in the Members in the News section, which the Bulletin runs on a periodic basis.
Articles of Interest
- Events such as the annual chapter meeting or events that included resident and medical student activities (for examples, Surgical Jeopardy)
- Advocacy activities of the chapter
- Chapter scholarship winners
- Interesting chapter undertakings, course offerings, and programs
- Please be specific and include:
- Meeting venue location and anything special about the event
- Numbers of attendees at the event
- Names of those who are master(s) of ceremonies for the meeting
- Keynote or special speakers and titles of their presentations
- For competitions, we need to know the name of the winning person or team and their affiliation
- What the recognition was for the winning person or team of a competition (for example, cash prize, trophy)
Please note: Due to space restrictions, we are not always able to include all details of an event, but will try our best to include as much as possible.
Chapter News appears in the Bulletin every other month. Content is due to Chapter Services by the schedule below:
- February 15 to be included in April edition
- April 15 to be included in June edition
- June 15 to be included in August edition
- August 15 to be included in October edition
- October 15 to be included in December edition
- December 15 to be included in February edition
Please send Chapter News submissions to Laura Mazur, Chapter Services Program Coordinator, at firstname.lastname@example.org.