Have you updated your Member Profile lately? Here's what you should know.
The information you include in your online profile feeds directly into the Find a Surgeon site, which is used extensively by your colleagues and, most importantly, by patients searching for a qualified surgeon.
Updating your profile is quick and easy. There are eight profile sections and some of them are prepopulated with information you already provided to us as part of your Fellow or Associate Fellow membership application.
Here are some key components of the profile you may not know about:
- You can edit your contact information and specify if you want patients to be able to contact you through the site
- In addition to designating whether or not patients can contact you through the site, you will receive a weekly e-mail from ACS letting you know how many individuals viewed your profile
- You can upload your photo. If you don't have a current photo available to upload, visit us at the My Profile booth at the annual Clinical Congress to get a professional photo taken (that we give to you on a flash drive, for FREE) where we will upload it directly to your profile.
- You can tell patients about yourself and your practice philosophy
- You can select from a comprehensive list to identify your subspecialties and main areas of clinical concentration
- You can include information about your hospital and/or academic appointments and society memberships
- You can edit your prepopulated training and society memberships, and your specialty and board certification are already included
- You can choose to display your birth date, gender, and race
- Within each section, YOU CHOOSE how you want the information displayed to the public, to members only, or kept private
Who Sees My Profile?
So who accesses the information available on Find a Surgeon?
Patients who "need a qualified surgeon" or are "looking for a surgeon" using a search engine (for example, Google, Bing, etc.), will be presented with the ACS Find a Surgeon as one of their top choices. Most patients are either looking for surgeons to perform a specific procedure, or within their geographic area. However, patients can also search by a variety of variables including name, state/city/zip, country, distance, specialty, subspecialty, areas of clinical concentration, and gender. The results screen will display all of the information you have public in your profile and at that point, patients can send you a direct e-mail communication.
Benefits of Find a Surgeon
Monthly page views on the Find a Surgeon site range between 12,000–18,000 searches, and it is one of the most visited pages on the ACS Website.
Members who log in to the website, and then access the Find a Surgeon site can search for colleagues and retrieve their contact information; including their e-mail address. E-mail addresses are not displayed on the public side of the Find a Surgeon site.
Click on Member Login and enter your user ID and password. Then click on My Profile in the navigation and select My Profile Overview to update your profile.
Contact email@example.com if you need assistance.