The American College of Surgeons (ACS) Committee on the ACS Transition to Practice (TTP) in General Surgery has developed a program for new surgeons who are leaving residency and entering into the practice of general surgery. The ACS TTP Program will support the transition to independent practice in general surgery through:
- Individualized, hands-on learning tailored to individual needs
- Independence and autonomy in clinical decision making
- Practical general surgery experience under the guidance of notable practicing surgeons
- One-year, paid staff appointments at institutions accredited by ACS
- Exposure to important elements of practice management
- Update on the progress of the TTP Program discussed by ACS Executive Director David B. Hoyt, MD, FACS in the April 2014 issue of the Bulletin of the American College of Surgeons
- Description of the needs assessment, design, and future direction of the TTP Program by Steering Committee Chair J. David Richardson, MD, FACS, in the September 2013 issue of the Bulletin
- Excellent overview of the ACS TTP Program detailed by Dr. Hoyt in the February 2013 issue of the Bulletin
Join R. Phillip Burns, MD, FACS, for Informal Meet & Greet on TTP Program
R. Phillip Burns, MD, FACS, Past First Vice-President of the ACS and a member of the ACS Committee on the TTP Program in General Surgery, will host an informal Meet & Greet from 12:00 noon–1:00 pm on Tuesday, October 6, during Clinical Congress in Chicago. This event will take place at the Division of Education booth in the ACS Resource Center, McCormick Place West, Hall F2.
Dr. Burns will be available to speak with anyone interested in the TTP Program, including graduating residents who are considering applying to be TTP Associates as well as faculty and practicing surgeons at institutions that are interested in exploring the possibility of establishing a new site. Stop by and learn more about this growing program!
New TTP Programs
We are pleased to announce that the following institutions are now approved to offer the TTP Program:
Now Accepting TTP Associate Applications for 2016–2017 Academic Year
Institutions participating in the TTP Program are accepting TTP Associate Applications for the 2016–2017 Academic Year. Interested residents are encouraged to review the program profiles listed on the left and submit an application to email@example.com for consideration.
Institutions interested in establishing a new TTP site can also contact firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.
To learn more about this new program or to request an application, contact the College at 312-202-5491 or e-mail email@example.com.