The Advisory Council for General Surgery (ACGS) is a standing committee of the Board of Regents. Its principal purpose is to advise the Regents on American College of Surgeons (ACS) matters and activities as they relate to the practice of general surgery. The Council members are representatives from many of the national and regional surgical organizations. The Advisory Council for General Surgery is a committee of the Board of Regents and has been assigned the following functions:
- Serve as liaison in the communication of information to and from general surgical societies and the Board of Regents.
- Advise the Board of Regents on policy matters and policy formulation relating to general surgery.
- Discuss matters the Council wishes to present to the Board of Regents or other appropriate College departments or committees.
- Nominate Fellows from general surgery to serve on College committees and other committees and organizations.
- Provide general surgery input into the development of general and specialty sessions, including postgraduate courses, for the College’s Clinical Congress.
Within the past several years, with the support of the College’s Board of Regents, the Advisory Council has begun to serve an expanded role within the College. The responsibility of serving as a conduit of communication between the College and General Surgery has been targeted as crucial, particularly as the practice of surgery is facing changes and uncertainty under the managed care environment.
The ACGS is interested in hearing your concerns and suggestions. You may forward your comments to the Council's staff liaison at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Advisory Council for General Surgery Roster