The Advisory Council for Cardiothoracic Surgery consists of representatives from the Board of Regents and four specialty societies—American Association for Thoracic Surgery, Society of Thoracic Surgeons, Southern Thoracic Surgical Society, and Thoracic Surgery Directors Association; two representatives from the Board of Governors; and a representative from the American Board of Thoracic Surgery. The Advisory Council for Cardiothoracic Surgery is a committee of the Board of Regents and has been assigned the following functions:
- Serve as a liaison in the communication of information to and from cardiothoracic surgery societies and the Board of Regents.
- Advise the Board of Regents on policy matters and policy formations relating to cardiothoracic surgery.
- Discuss matters the Advisory Council wishes to present to the Board of Regents or other appropriate American College of Surgeons (ACS) departments or committees.
- Nominate Fellows from cardiothoracic surgery to serve on College committees and other committees and organizations.
- Provide cardiothoracic surgery input into the development of general and specialty sessions, including postgraduate courses, for the College’s Clinical Congress.
Within the past several years, with the support of the College’s Board of Regents, the Advisory Council has begun to serve an expanded role within the College. The responsibility of serving as a conduit of communication between the College and Cardiothoracic Surgery has been targeted as crucial, particularly as the practice of surgery is facing changes and uncertainty under the managed care environment.
The Advisory Council for Cardiothoracic Surgery is interested in hearing your concerns and suggestions. You may forward your comments to the Council's staff liaison at email@example.com.
Advisory Council for Cardiothoracic Surgery Roster