The American College of Surgeons (ACS) was founded in 1913 “to maintain an association of surgeons, not for pecuniary profit, but for the benefit of humanity by advancing the science of surgery and the ethical and competent practice of its art.” Association Management Services (AMS) addresses the goals and objectives of the College’s strategic plan by helping other surgical organizations with their business and unique organizational needs.
A Competitive Advantage
By virtue of being within the College, the competitive advantages of AMS are numerous:
- ACS is the world’s largest surgical association. We work and interact with surgeons daily, and we understand the surgical community best.
- Our expertise lies in medical meeting planning as 100 percent of the meetings we plan are for medical associations.
- Our staff has more than 50 years of combined experience in health care association management, and we currently lend our expertise to 18 surgical associations.
- Because we work within an association, we understand the dedication to service and commitment to quality required in the association management culture.
- We have a technical advantage with the use of in-house services and best practices already in place.
- We’re able to leverage our relationship with hotels and vendors during negotiations.
We offer our client associations the following services:
Assist association leadership in meeting their goals and objectives: support leadership and committees in their activities; and oversee business operations, including project management, staff management and day-to-day activities.
Maintenance of membership database, dues mailing, application requests, a dedicated 800 phone number for each organization, membership statistics.
Newsletters; general publications; website design, development, and maintenance; media relations; meeting publications.
Meetings and Conventions
Site selection, meeting marketing and promotion, contract review and negotiation, onsite management, registration services, travel services, exhibit management.
Manage abstract process with program committee. Manage application process for possible ACS continuing medical education (CME) joint providership of the activity. Upon approval, ensure compliance of all aspects of the activity (before, during, and after the activity) as required by the Accreditation Council for Continuing Medical Education, the American Medical Association, and ACS. Provide academic support to design, implement, and evaluate educational programs.
Finance and Facilities
Accounts balance and reconciliation; dues billing and collection processing; budget and analysis; general ledger and financial statements; financial management; payroll; mailing; fulfillment; printing, collating, binding, and copying.
Maintenance of equipment and servers; oversee set up of separate databases for membership records.
We provide services for the following client organizations:
If you are interested in AMS for your organization, please contact Denise Goode, Senior Manager of the Association Management Services Program. We will request that you complete our online assessment to find out more about your service needs.
Senior Manager, Association Management Services
American College of Surgeons
633 N Saint Clair Street
Chicago, IL 60611