Through the philanthropy of American College of Surgeons (ACS) Fellows, as well as sponsorship from organizations and corporations, the College is able to offer a variety of awards to assist young surgeons with their clinical and research aspirations. Last year, the College awarded nearly $2 million in dozens of scholarships and fellowships.
For example, International Guest Scholarships (IGS) provide surgeons from around the globe the opportunity to visit clinical, teaching, and research facilities in North America with the goal of enhancing the scholars’ patient care practices when they return home. The scholarships, in the amount of $10,000 each, also provide scholars with the opportunity to participate in the ACS annual Clinical Congress. Since the IGS program was established in 1968, more than 250 surgeons have been selected to receive the awards.
Read about three recipients whose patients have benefited from their IGS experience.
Fellowships and Awards
In addition to IGS awards, there are a number of research fellowships and traveling awards. The complete listing of named scholarships and fellowships are listed below. To see the list of recipients and information on the application process, please visit our Scholarships, Fellowships, and Awards section.
- George H. A. Clowes, Jr., MD, FACS, Memorial and Research Career Development Award
- Louis Argenta, MD, FACS, International Guest Scholarship and Faculty Research Fellow
- Murray F. Brennan, MD, FACS, International Guest Scholarship
- Elias S. Hanna, MD, FACS, International Guest Scholarship
- Baxiram S. and Kankuben B. Gelot International Guest Scholarship
- Kankuben B. Gelot Chapter Award
- Jeannette and H. Peter Kriendler Charitable Trust: Leadership Scholarships for Residents and Associate Fellows
- Abdol H. Islami, MD, Foundation International Guest Scholarship
- Stavros Niarchos Foundation International Guest Scholarship
- Nizar N. Oweida, MD, FACS, Scholarship for Rural Surgeons
- Thomas R. Russell, MD, FACS, Scholarship Fund
- Pon Satitpunwaycha MD, FACS, International Fund
- Resident Research Scholarships
- Faculty Fellowships
- Health Policy Scholarships
- Carlos Pellegrini Traveling Fellowship
- Claude H. Organ, Jr., MD, FACS, Traveling Fellowship